Mahaley’s Story: An Ecological and Family System Perspective (EP001)
· Laureate Education (Producer). (2014). Mahaley’s Childhood Web [Multimedia file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
· Mahaley Mahe: New Student Overview
· Note: While the names and interviews in the video are authentic, the information in the document and the scenario in Part II of this Performance Task are completely fictionalized. The scenario was created to assess important Learning Objectives within this Competency, but bear no reflection on Mahaley’s real life or the Mahe family.
· The Bowen Center for the Study of the Family. (2014). Theory: Eight concepts. Retrieved from here.
Based on information from the video, Mahaley’s Childhood Web, and the “Mahaley Mahe: New Student Overview” document, write a 3- to 5-page response that addresses the following:
· Describe Mahaley’s microsystem, mesosystem, exosystem, macrosystem, and chronosystem. Explain how at least three of these systems influence Mahaley’s healthy development and learning.
· Choose at least one concept from family systems theory, and explain how Mahaley’s story relates to that concept. Then, explain why understanding the concepts of the family systems theory can help support positive outcomes for Mahaley and her family.
· Using the ideas from the family systems theory and ecological systems theory, explain how the changes described in the “Mahaley Mahe: New Student Overview” document might impact Mahaley’s healthy development and learning.
· Explain the importance of respecting Mahaley’s family culture in this new environment in order to support her healthy development and learning.