Cross-Cultural Perspectives Of Tourism
This week we will be discussing nonverbals and the influence they have on culture. Watch the following video and respond to the prompt (500 words min. in total):
1) If someone were to analyze and explain to you your nonverbal tendencies, how would they describe them? (i.e., how do you stand? How animated are you when you talk? How is your overall body posture? Do your nonverbals represent a confident and/or extroverted individual?) If you are unsure about this, ask a friend.
2) What is the relationship between your nonverbals and your identity? – Do your nonverbals match your characteristics?
3) Now that you are more aware of your nonverbal tendencies, do you plan on trying to change them? If so, how? If not, why not?
Watch the following videos and respond to the prompts. You may have to conduct your own research to assist in answering these last questions. If so, please include your references.
4) Explain what proxemics means as related to intercultural communication
5) Which countries rank the highest in the need for personal space?
6) Which countries rank the lowest in the need for personal space?
7) Where do you fit on the continuum of preference for personal space? (i.e., do you feel uncomfortable when people stand close to you) – Why do you feel this way?
Extreme examples of close proxemity: